Friday, October 15, 2010

On Recognition and Three Weekends to Go...

I must share a public thank you to a gentleman named Eric Zaetsch (someone else from the far end of the alphabet) from Ramsey, who kindly alerted me that he had posted about this blog page on his blog, "Developers are Crabgrass."  I appreciate the feedback on my blogsite, Eric, and best wishes to you as a blogger - I've added your blog as one I'm planning to follow regularly. 

One bit of pleasant news this week - I was officially endorsed by my union for the Andover City Council.  AFSCME Council 5 has endorsed me (for a list of their endorsements, check the AFSCME Council 5 site at http://www.afscmemn.org/).  For partisan races, the lists includes both Democrats and Republicans (though fewer, certainly).  This next week, I'll be attending my first Council 5 Executive Board meeting in South St. Paul.

Cheryl and I took Friday off from work to do some driving lit drops in Andover.  We've covered most of the 1st precinct in northwest Andover - following Julie Trude last weekend - and finding much of her literature remaining in the boxes out there - and Tony Howard, who's out with his own campaign literature throughout the city.  Many of Tony's brochures, as well as those of Commissioner candidate Matt Look, are landing on the street and yards, unfortunately, after another couple of breezy days.  Matt Look's group should be alerted that the Post Office does not want these brochures pinned by the red flags on the box - quite a few of Matt's were, in the Tulip St./7th Ave. areas of town.

I've finished door-knocking in my own neighborhood.  I started last Sunday, and over four evenings this week - about an hour or so at supper time each night - finished walking my own neighborhood.  Besides my own short block on 158th Ln, I walked Drake from 156th Ln to 159th Ave, then up to 160th.  Off of 160th, I met neighbors living on Eagle St., including the original owners of the entire parcel, who I discussed the changes in the past five-or-so years, and the need for work on Hanson Boulevard - including a suggestion to expand the four lanes to City Hall for better traffic flow in the rush hours. I visited the Avocet St. circle off of 156th Ln, and Avocet St. where Oak View Park is located.  I talked to neighbors on Crane St. from south of my block up to County Road 20, then crossed over into the newer development north of 161st Ave. And I talked to folks living on 156th Ln. to where it intersects with Yellow Pine St. and 159th Ave. between Hanson Blvd. and Crane St.

I never realized how many dogs were in my neighborhood - well over half the homes have dogs; big dogs, little dogs, dogs with big barks, dogs with little yips.  I have a brand new appreciation of the need for a dog park in our community.  And a brand new appreciation for the need for a pet store - like a Petco or Pet Smart - in this vicinity.  Wow!

And I have a new appreciation for my own neighborhood.  It goes beyond people being pleasant when I pointed out I'm a neighbor - or someone living nearby.  I was genuinely wished well in this venture of running for the Council.  I was asked good questions - informed questions.  One neighbor asked for the environmental implications of my candidacy.  Where do I stand on our use of the Elk River site for trash and refuse?  I've got a new topic to read and learn more about.  It was a great questuion, and my neighbor knows a lot more about it than I do, and I now have a new source to go and discuss this with, when I want to know more about the topic.

So, this weekend, I need to finish my League of Women Voter's guide answers, prepare opening and closing remarks for Monday night's candidate forum at City Hall, and get out to do some more door-knocking and lit-dropping.  I'm coloring in my map to represent where we've been - over a 1/3 is filled in; by the end of the weekend, it has to be over half-filled.   We're getting there!

We also bought pumpkins today and candy last weekend.  Halloween approaches (and I have seen some great decorations, already - including the early prep that my neighbors Shawn and Rochelle have started - they have the "Halloween house" on our block every year!), so we got a giant pumpkin and some others this year, and Cheryl and I have to make time for some important carving work, too.


Finally, I'm a history buff!  Not only did I teach history once upon a time, but I buy history books and biographies by the boatload, and for the last several years, I've been an annual subsciber to the Minnesota Historical Society's History Forum series hosted by Danielle Dart.  Well, tomorrow I call a campaign timeout in the afternoon.  Professor John Ferling, author of "The Ascent of George Washington" will be speaking about the first President, Saturday at the Minnesota History Center, at 2:00.  Dr. Ferling has also written two other books I own, "Almost a Miracle" (Revolutionary War) and "A Leap in the Dark" (the early years of the new American Republic).  I'm looking forward to hearing his lecture on Washington - after a morning (and later an evening) of campaign activity.  An early start is necessary on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter