Monday, October 4, 2010

Thank You County Sector Delegates to the AFSCME Council 5 Convention

On Thursday, September 30, I had the honor of being elected to the 43-member statewide AFSCME Council 5 Executive Board, during the 2010 Council 5 Convention.  I was one of five elected to represent AFSCME members from the County sector.  My Local's President, Jean Diederich, was re-elected to the Board herself, representing members who live in the West Metro, which includes Hennepin and Anoka Counties.

Cliff Robinson, who retired in August, nominated me, and did a wonderfully moving job of highlighting my career with AFSCME and his expectation that I will be able to provide the Board with continuity after his departure.  Thank you, Cliff, for your very kind words!


The Convention assembly heard from Bill Lucy, the retired AFSCME International Secretary-Treasurer on Friday, then from DFL Gubernatorial candidate Mark Dayton on Saturday morning.  Resolutions were passed, including one I assisted in the composition of, prioritizing dealing with Workplace Bullying on the AFSCME legislative agenda.  Local 34's Katie Farber was honored with the Rick Scott political organizing award, we each attended workshops on Friday morning, and I learned that the West Metro will screen me for AFSCME endorsement on October 9th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter