Monday, July 7, 2014

Joe Perske: Democrat for the Sixth District - In the Words of His Wife, Jan


The first time I ever set eyes on Joe Perske, I was in high school.  He was tall and thin and looked like a really nice guy.  He was involved with the cross country and track teams and loved long distance running.  He loved hanging out in the woodshop and the photo lab at school and was pretty shy around girls.  Little did I know at the time how much this man would change my life.  

 

Joe and I were in the same graduating class, but didn't officially meet until the end of our senior year when he asked me to go to prom with him.   We started out our relationship as good friends, deepened our relationship over a five year span of time and were married in July of 1979.

 

One of the qualities that attracted me to Joe all those years ago, and continues to amaze me, is his willingness and openness to help others.  Whether it it fixing the wheels on a student's bike, checking out someone's flooded backyard,  doing taxes for his mother, or being called at the last minute to referee a  soccer game, Joe always says yes. A few years ago, he took it upon himself to be the "chauffeur" for a young lady in high school who wanted to go to prom with her boyfriend.  This young lady and her boyfriend both had disabilities and could not drive.  Joe looked past the disability and saw a young lady who wanted to go to prom just like everyone else.  Joe arranged the evening for this sweet high school couple, and they were able to attend their senior prom and had the time of their lives. His genuine care and concern for his fellow human beings has always been an inspiration to me and countless others.  

 

Another quality of Joe's that has influenced me is his positive attitude.  No matter the situation, Joe always looks at the positive side of things.  Whether the situation involves his job as a teacher, his role as dad to our three daughters, or as mayor of the city of Sartell, his positive attitude always shines through.  When our youngest daughter was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of fifteen, he continually strengthened me with his positive outlook that she was going to survive.  Joe held up our family during that difficult time, and our daughter is now a seven year cancer survivor.  He believes in working hard and finding solutions through positive thinking and an optimistic frame of mind.  

 

I support Joe's run for Congress because I know that he will work hard for the people of the Sixth District. I know that he has a passion for people - to help them, uplift them, and do what he can to improve lives.    His tireless energy, his willingness to help others, and his positive attitude will benefit so many people.  If elected, I know that Joe's genuine and heartfelt concern for the people of Minnesota's Sixth Congressional District will make this a better world for all of us.

 Jan Perske

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter