Saturday, July 12, 2014

Learned of a New Candidate for Andover City Council Today - No Firm Opinions Yet - Another Law Enforcement Conservative?

James Goodrich of Andover had a parade presence in today's Andover Family Fun Fest.  I'm just starting to learn about James Goodrich and what he stands for as a candidate for City Council.  I will be supporting Val Holthus, but there will be two seats to fill this Fall.


Based on what we the candidate states at his page, we are not on the same page.  Coming from someone who has worked for the government for 29 years, I'm disappointed with his presumption about Smaller government. 

Andover has been led by conservative-minded, fiscally-responsible leaders for many decades.  Andover is about as tight a ship as you can imagine - frankly, I think its employees deserve more pay right now by continuing to do more for the residents with less. 

Our City Administrator has no waste in that annual budget here.  The current Council makes it nice for us as residents - continually reducing our City property taxes.  I'd like to see less bare bones - which frankly means more tax revenue.  Maybe our rising house values, after seven years of lower and lower valuations will lead to more revenue.



Here is information about candidate Goodrich from his web page....

http://electjamesgoodrich.com/about-jim.html


PictureA little about myself, I've lived in Andover for 20 years, what a great town!I've worked for the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office for 28 years.I've been married to my beautiful wife Janna for 23 years. I have three great kids, Zachary, Emily and Miriam. I'm a member of Constance Free Church in Andover.

I'm an avid bow hunter and competitive archer.





Why in the world do I want to run for Andover City Council? Well, several reasons. I'm going to retire from the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office after 29 years this fall and I want to bring my fiscal and social conservative values to local city government right here in Andover.  Ok so what does that mean? Well, the Andover annual budget is approximately 9 million dollars and over 7 million dollars of that is gained from our property taxes. I want to make sure our hard earned money is spent wisely. 

Spending can get out of control even on a local level. I want to make sure we're conducting the types of business that local government is supposed to.  Taking care of our infrastructure, wise ordinances, smart tax increment finance for business. Good Police and Fire services.

Assessments, who likes assessment's, I don't, but they are necessary as Andover grows. So, I want to be smart about it and bring them about as necessary and give residents as many options as possible to deal with them.
Metropolitan Council, the more we take their money the more they can tell us what to do. This would be a bad thing.

The smaller the Government the more we can make our own decisions.  I look out my window and see our liberties and freedoms that made this country great flying away at an alarming rate.  I want to do whatever I can at a local level to stop this.

I'm very capitalistic pro free-market oriented. I want to provide a business friendly environment to attract business to Andover and all the jobs and goods and service's that come with it.  Including the revenue.

If we want to gain more revenue for Andover it should come from a prosperous and growing economical environment, not through raising your property taxes. This is what I call a "No Brainer"

At the end of the day I'm your representative, I always want to hear what everyone is thinking about where your property taxes should go.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter